Sparkle Addicts

Monday, December 27, 2010

Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel as Makeup/Eyeshadow Primer Review

Yep! I'm sure many of you have heard of this...many of you haven't. This is the Product:


No, this isn't used to treat yeast infections and has nothing to do with hoohah infections in any form (hee hee!). It's just chafing gel and has the same exact active ingredient used in eye primers. That ingredient is Dimethicone.
Many women have been using this product as a face primer and/or an eyeshadow primer and swear by it.
I decided to give it a try and bought a tube from drugstore.com. You can read the reviews on that website and see that some are for using it as a makeup primer. :-)
I don't need a face primer so I used this product as an eye primer no different than I would apply my Too Faced Shadow Insurance.
The gel is colourless (mostly clear, semi opaque) and odorless. The texture is very smooth and silky. It's not greasy at all and it rubs down to a soft, almost velvety, feel. I really love the way it feels.
I used it for a few days by itself (you only need a tiny bit, if you use too much it can become cakey and bead up, a little goes a long way) as well as tried it on one eye with the other eye using the TFSI so I could compare the two. While they both kept my makeup from creasing about the same, I immediately noticed a difference in how much better my eyeshadow applied and blended.
I am in love with this Chafing Gel! Seriously, I like it better than Too Faced Shadow Insurance! My eyeshadow glides on like butter, blends like a dream and it doesn't crease! I still use my Detrivore Eye primer and Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy on top for extra POP and it actually helps them both blend more evenly too. I let the chafing gel set for about 30 seconds before applying my other primers on top.

Why I love this Chafing Gel and recommend you try it:

  • Works better (for me) than Too Faced Shadow Insurance (can't say for UDPP because I have never tried it) 
  • Huge 1.5 ounce tube (if used as just an eye primer, will last you FOREVER!)
  • Costs about $6-$8
  • Has only 5 ingredients which is way less than Too Faced Shadow Insurance and Urban Decay Primer Potion
  • Has no parabens unlike UDPP (which is why I never tried UDPP)

I'd say the only negative thing is that the brand is Monistat. I don't care about that, but I know some people will. You shouldn't let that scare you away from trying it. Just remember that even though it is made by Monistat, it has nothing to do with yeast infections or the private area. It's just a basic gel to help with chafing (which can happen anywhere on the body). You can always buy a tube and transfer it into a jar so you don't have the issue of the label that may be considered embarrassing to some. 


Here's the ingredients comparison

Ingredients for Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trisiloxane.

Ingredients for Too Faced Shadow Insurance:
Isododecane,Talc, Cyclopentasiloxane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Glyceryl Triethylhexanoate, Polyethylene, Trihydroxystearin, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Isopropyl Lanolate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Propylene Carbonate, Dimethicone, PEG-40 Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopherol. (+/-): Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)

Ingredients for Urban Decay Primer Potion:
Isododecane, Talc, Cyclopentasiloxane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trihydroxystearin, Triethylhexanoin, Isopropyl Lanolate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Dimethicone, PEG-40 Stearate, Propylene Carbonate, Phenoxyethanol, Cera Alba (Synthetic Beeswax), Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Methicone, Isobutylparaben

May Contain:
Mica, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride)


I do feel better about using something on my eyes that has fewer ingredients. I'm so happy that I tried this.

Check out more information about Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel here: http://review-monistat-face-primer.uncensoredguides.com/

Have you tried Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel as a makeup primer for face or eyes? Tell me your experience!

Are you interested in giving this a try? 

I really hope this review was helpful. If you have any questions, please let me know. :-)

~BLIX

24 comments:

  1. This is so interesting, I have tried it as a face primer but never as an eyeshadow primer! This may be worth getting in stores :D Do you normally have oily eyelids or are they on the drier side?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mai,
    Yes, I do have oily lids so I have serious creasing issues if I don't use a primer. This stuff works really well for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll buy this to try as a face primer instead of that L'Oreal stuff, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never used it as an eye primer either, but I do have a tube. I will have to see how this works for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I definitely want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice!!! Im gonna give it a try if I can remember!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been meaning to try this out for some time, but always forget to buy it while out shopping. Every single review I've read has been very positive. Glad it's working out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this review! I have not heard of using this as a primer. But I think I will pick some up next time I'm at the drugstore! I'm sure my husband will think I have gone completely insane when he see me using this on my face! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are welcome ladies! You really should give it a try.
    My husband thinks it's great I found something I like better, that is a better price and more economical. That however, does not stop him from joking about it! He said, "Who knew butthole cream would work so well for makeup". So I've been calling it "butthole cream"! Yes, we're immature dorks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely giving this a try - also might use it for its intended purpose in the summer...

    Also, those who don't like the packaging can always decant into different tubes...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read lots of ladies go crazy for this, but didn't really "know" anyone that I'd trust to give a fair review - so yours is appreciated.

    And speaking of other uses for potentially embarrassing products, I use Astroglide to polish my latex jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Monistat isn't available in my country but I have read so many good reviews about it. Might try ordering it online. Thanks for sharing your wonderful discovery with us. And, thanks for following my blog. I really appreciat it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emily,
    It has awesome reviews for its intended purpose and as a makeup primer. You will have to let me know how it works for you. :-)

    I suggested if the label bothers anyone to transfer it to a jar (or whatever works best for you is fine). But some folks are embarrassed just purchasing it at the store. Which I don't get at all. If someone looks at you funny for buying chafing gel, they have issues.
    I have seen a few responses to other reviews on this product where people refuse to try it just because it says Monistat. Some even say they would prefer to pay $40 for a primer that is intended for makeup than trying the chafing gel. Labels are just labels and if the product does what it's supposed to, I don't care about the packaging. I'm leaving mine in the tube (because I like it, it doesn't leak and doesn't let air in like other tubes) and I will list what I'm using as a primer with my makeup posts so others know.

    Anyone else who decides to try this, whether for face or eyes, please let me know how it goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. cinseven13,
    Thank you so much, I'm glad you trust my review. :-) You know, I never thought of using Astroglide to polish latex jewelry. I'm assuming it works well if you use it. How'd you find out about it?

    sugar sugar,
    You are welcome! I'm sure you could order it online from somewhere. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I never thought of this! What an awesome idea. I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree on the whole idea that it's silly to not try a product because of the label. This is a great idea! I never think about other ways a product could be used, and now totally need to find some of this stuff. I only use a hard candy glitter stick as a base for my makeup, I need an actual primer! I also have a huge problem with my makeup creasing up. Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blix, I was washing my latex in hot water but some pieces were looking dull. I double checked Artwith Design's website and they suggested using Armor All (the stuff you use to polish car interiors) or Astroglide (currently they're saying Eros Bodyglide, but same stuff). I figure I'd rather have Astroglide against my skin than Armor All.

    Yes, I definitely trust your reviews to be fair and honest, and always entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  18. If anyone's embarrassed to buy this at the drugstore, check your local runners' or athletic shops. I originally got it to use on my thighs and heels when cycling, which it's also great for, by the way. No one at a specialty store will think twice about your purchase.

    I use this as a face primer and it's outperformed every single other one I've ever tried. I did try it on my oily lids a couple times, but maybe I was applying it too thick. I'll try again in the morning!

    <3 Tempest

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've ordered some now, my poor wallet...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the review! I've been wanting to try this, and now even more. TFSI just kept separating and spoiling on me, and not working that well anyway. So...this sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, first comment; LOVE the blog!
    Anyway, just wanted to mention *another* wonderful use for the Monistat. I've got a recipe where I use this with a high-grade fine milled Vit.C (l-ascorbic acid) for my own C serum. This is the one of the only substances to combine with the C that keeps it stable for a good period of time, as well as allowing good absorption into the skin. Just thought I'd let you ladies know about this other use for it - it really is a wonder product! And such a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  22. BLIX ~ This is one of the best tips EVAH!! Not only does my eyeshadow look "just done" 5 hours and a nap later, but it keeps the eyeshadow from irritating my eyelids. I have extremely sensitive lids, even with quality shadows, and my makeup is gone within a half hour from my eyes watering. I give a hearty recommendation for Monistat just for eliminating irritation.

    I am entering the cosmetics industry after a child-raising hiatus and your blog is a fabulous help for me getting back on my feet. Plus, you are just a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ugh...blogger makes me so mad sometimes! I had typed up a reply to your comments and blogger ate it. *sigh*

    Too much to retype but thanks to all that appreciate the review and you're welcome to those who tried it and like it. :-)

    Tonya C.,
    I'm really happy it has helped your issue with sensitivity. I have issues with eyelash glue sometimes stinging my lash line, and it has helped with that as well. :-)
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooh I want to try this if it works for your oily lids! :D

    ReplyDelete